2020 Engineering Excellence Awards
Each year the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of North Carolina selects the top project from North Carolina engineering firms to go forward to the national ACEC’s annual Engineering Excellence Awards competition. Since 1967, U.S. engineering firms have entered their most innovative projects and studies in ACEC’s annual Engineering Excellence Awards program (EEA)—’the Academy Awards of the engineering industry’— honoring the year’s most outstanding engineering accomplishments. Projects that are winners at state level EEA competitions are eligible for ACEC’s national EEA competition.
Engineering North Carolina’s Future.
On Thursday November 12th, ACEC/NC Members and their guests came together at the Pinehurst Resort for the annual Engineering Excellence Awards Dinner. Fourteen projects placed in this year’s competition. WK Dickson received the “Henry A. Stikes Grand Conceptor Award.” This top honor was given for their project, Boone USDA Raw Water Project, in Boone, NC. This infiltration gallery in the project is the first and only of its kind east of the Mississippi.
Seven firms were awarded the competition’s second-highest honor.
The recipients of these “Grand Awards” were:
- Alpha & Omega for the “LINCOLN HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL RENOVATIONS”
- HNTB for the “ELEVATED ROADWAY AND TERMINAL CURB FRONT” at Charlotte Douglas Int’l Airport
- The Wooten Company for the “MONTGOMERY COUNTRY-WIDE WATER SYSTEM ASSET MANAGEMENT PROGRAM”
- HDR for “US-421 EMERGENCY RESPONSE MODELING SERVICES”
- McKim & Creed for the “WATER AGE ABATEMENT PROGRAM” for the City of Durham
- W.K. Dickson & Co., Inc. for the “NORTHWEST PLANT DISASTER RECOVERY AND RESILIENCE PROJECT”
- HDR - “MARC BASNIGHT BRIDGE”
Honors Award recipients are:
- Freese & Nichols for the “CATAWBA RIVER WATER POLLUTION CONTROL FACILITY PROCESS CONVERSION & UPGRADE”
- ECS Southeast for “MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE AND MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER HAZARDOUS MATERIALS UPGRADE” - Jacksonville, NC
- RS&H for “SURF CITY/TOP SAIL ISLAND BRIDGE REPLACEMENT”
- S&ME for the “US NORTH CAROLINA BATTLESHIP COFFERDAM AND MEMORIAL WALKWAY”
- Ramey Kemp Associates for the “PULLEN ROAD EXTENSION”
- REI Engineers for “JS DORTON ARENA ROOF ENGINEERING PROJECT”
- Engineering Concepts, a Terracon Company, for the “MARKOR ARTS CENTER” - High Point, NC
- WSP for the “OCRACOKE EXPRESS PASSENGER FERRY”
- ECS Southeast for “TUMBLING CREEK ROAD REPAIR”
- RS&H for the “I-40/440 PAVEMENT RECONSTRUCTION DESIGN-BUILD (PROJECT FORTIFY)”
- Summit Design & Engineering Services for the “CHURCH STREET ACCESS IMPROVEMENT PROJECT”
- Davis Martin Powell for the “STEWART MILL ROAD LIFT STATION”
- ECS Southeast for the “BOONE RAW INTAKE TEMPORARY COFFERDAM” - Fleetwood, NC
The “People’s Choice Award” recipient was given to ECS Southeast for their “MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE AND MARINE CORPS AIR STATION NEW RIVER HAZARDOUS MATERIALS ASSESSMENTS” - Jacksonville, NC
Those in attendance at the dinner were asked to vote for the project that was the most impressive and the most deserving of recognition.
ACEC/NC annually presents the “Engineering Excellence Awards” to honor and recognize engineering firms located in North Carolina for projects which demonstrate the highest degree of achievement, value and ingenuity.
Congratulations to all of our 2020 winners!