Each year the American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of North Carolina selects the top project from North Carolina engineering firms to go forward to the national ACEC's annual Engineering Excellence Awards competition. Since 1967, U.S. engineering firms have entered their most innovative projects and studies in ACEC's annual Engineering Excellence Awards program (EEA)—'the Academy Awards of the engineering industry'— honoring the year's most outstanding engineering accomplishments. Projects that are winners at state level EEA competitions are eligible for ACEC's national EEA competition.
Engineering North Carolina’s Future.
On Thursday November 8th, ACEC/NC Members and their guests came together at 214 Martin in downtown Raleigh for the annual Engineering Excellence Awards Dinner. The foyer hall was lined with boards displaying the winning projects representing North Carolina Firms at work all over the country. Fourteen projects placed in this year’s competition. Raleigh-based S&ME received the “Henry A. Stikes Grand Conceptor Award.” This top honor was given for their project, “Surcharge Program and NOVO NORDISK DAPI Project” which is the largest life science facilities investment in North Carolina.
S&ME recognized an opportunity to value-engineer a surcharge program that resulted in elimination of 4,600 piles, saving the project over $10 million in construction costs, while beating schedule and settlement requirements.
Four firms were awarded the competition’s second-highest honor.
The recipients of these “Grand Awards” were:
• AECOM Raleigh, “Trinity Road Pedestrian Tunnel”
• WK Dickson, Charlotte, “Butterfly Branch restoration and Linear Park”
• Michael Baker International, Cary “ Gallants Channel Bridge”
• McKim &Creed, Inc. Wilmington “ Melinda K. Knoerzer Adaptative Ecosystem Reclamation Facility”
Honors Award recipients are:
• WithersRavenel for Crabtree Creek Greenway – Cary, NC
• Dewberry Engineers, for NC Global TransPark Strategic Plan – Kinston, NC
• WSP for Salem Creek Connector, Winston-Salem, NC
• Schnabel Engineering for Hope Mills Lake Dam Hope Mills, NC
• The Wooten Company for Pennington Park Baseball Field – Lumberton, NC
• North State Engineering for Brunswick Town – Fort Anderson Shoreline Stabilization, Brunswick County, NC
• Freese and Nichols, Inc. for Town of Chapel Hill Bond and Program Management, Chapel Hill, NC
• STV for CATS LYNX Blue Line Extension, Charlotte, NC
• Kimley Horn for NC State University Harrelson Hall Demolition in Raleigh, NC
The “People’s Choice Award” recipient was given to STV, Charlotte for their “CATS LYNX Blue Line Extension.”
Those in attendance at the dinner were asked to vote for the project that was the most impressive and the most deserving of recognition.
ACEC/NC annually presents the “Engineering Excellence Awards” to honor and recognize engineering firms located in North Carolina for projects which demonstrate the highest degree of achievement, value and ingenuity.
Congratulations to all of our 2019 winners!
Download this PDF for ACEC/NC's 2014 Award Winners
Download this PDF for ACEC/NC's 2016 Award Winners
Download this PDF for ACEC/NC's 2017 Award Winners
Download this PDF for ACEC/NC's 2018 Award Winners